A smile can brighten up a gloomy day, it can break the ice between strangers, and even put an end to a long-standing enmity. However, some of us often hide our smiles fearing the misaligned teeth. But braces and Invisalign made that fear a thing of the past.
We know that both of them are used to straighten misaligned teeth. But they have some fundamental differences. In this blog, let’s discuss more about them. Knowing their advantages and disadvantages will help you to make an informed choice.
How do Invisalign and Braces work?
Invisalign: Invisalign gently moves teeth into the ideal position by using a set of transparent aligners. The first set of aligners is for around two weeks. Then the set gets changed.
Braces: Braces use metal brackets that are attached to the teeth and an arch wire to exert pressure on the teeth or jaw, depending on your issue. Then small adjustments are made to the braces over time. It helps to maintain the pressure that causes the teeth to move into the desired positions. Further, you cannot take out the braces until you complete the treatment.
Now, let’s discuss the main advantages of Invisalign
Advantages of Invisalign
- You smile confidently with Invisalign’s invisible appearance:Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign is invisible. So you don’t have to hide your million-dollar smile. As a result, you can realign your teeth without letting anyone notice your orthodontic treatment. This makes Invisalign the popular option for many.
- You can remove it:You do not have to wear Invisalign 24*7. When you want to munch on your favorite food, you can easily take them out. Similarly, you can remove them while you floss and brush. As a result, your oral hygiene is not compromised because of Invisalign aligners.
- Fewer consultations:Much of the consultation happens before you get your perfect Invisalign aligners. For instance, the time to take a 3D scan to make custom model aligners.When the treatment begins, you will wear each set of aligners for a specific period. After the designated period is over, you can switch to the next set of aligners. That is, Invisalign does not require frequent adjustments as we do in the case of traditional braces. Consequently, there are only fewer visits to the dental clinic.
- It is comfortable:Invisalign aligners offer much more comfort than traditional braces. The smooth plastic material that builds the Invisalign is one of the reasons for the comfort. Similarly, they are custom-made to fit the patient’s tooth and hence fit more comfortably.Furthermore, the smooth plastic substances do not irritate the inside of your mouth. Hence, you do not have to worry about cuts or abrasions on the inner areas of your lips and cheeks.
Furthermore, the smooth plastic substances do not irritate the inside of your mouth. Hence, you do not have to worry about cuts or abrasions on the inner areas of your lips and cheeks.
Disadvantages of Invisalign
- Not suitable for complex issues: Invisalign is not effective for complex orthodontic issues such as jaw realignment, significant tooth realignment, etc. Likewise, if you have bridgework or dental implants, Invisalign is not an option.
- Frequent Removal: If you do not remove your Invisalign aligners, food particles will enter into them resulting in complications. For instance, it will cause bacterial growth along the gumline and teeth. Eventually, cavities form there. Besides, removing them in public places may be a concern for you.
- Chances of staining: Forgetting to remove before having certain food and beverages like coffee and tea, can cause discoloration and stain the aligners. However strict adherence to instructions prevents staining.
- Invisalign demands a high level of compliance: To experience the effectiveness of Invisalign, you should wear it 20 to 22 hrs a day. Hence, taking them out more often a day will prove to be counterproductive.
- Maintenance: Cleaning your Invisalign aligners every day is crucial. Otherwise, bacteria, plaque, and other debris will accumulate.
You may find it time-consuming to clean Invisalign aligners regularly. Additionally, they demand careful handling to avoid damage.
Braces, like Invisalign, have significant advantages and disadvantages. let’s glance over them.
Advantages of braces
- Effective for a wide range of orthodontic issues: To move the teeth in position, arch wire, and anchors are used in braces. It makes them an effective option to position your teeth. As a result, Braces have no limitations when it comes to treating complex issues. They can be used to treat many dental and facial issues. For instance, issues like bite problems, misaligned teeth, spacing, and crowding can be treated effectively with braces.
- Low maintenance: Braces require only lesser upkeep. Unlike Invisalign, they do not require any special maintenance.
- Precise results: Due to the capacity of braces to precisely move and control the direction of force applied to the teeth, it places the teeth in the perfect position.
- Faster treatment: Compared to Invisalign, braces can often treat issues that require complex teeth movements fast. This is because of braces’ ability to exert more force to move the teeth. Additionally, for newer arrivals like the self-ligating braces, the treatment will finish soon.
Disadvantages of Braces
- Aesthetic concerns: The metal brackets and wires of braces are visible. This might be a concern for some, particularly our teens who worry more about appearance.
- You may have to be careful while choosing your food: You have to keep certain foods at bay. For instance, hard and sticky foods may break the arch wire. It can also cause the bracket to come loose from a tooth. So, to avoid the breakage of brackets and prolonging the treatment, be cautious while eating.
- Regular dental clinic visits: To check the development and to adjust accordingly, you need regular consultations.
- Difficulty in brushing: You may face some difficulties while brushing. Braces can come in the way of proper cleaning. Therefore, if not followed the instructions, it may lead to plaque buildup and tooth decay.Now that we’ve gone through some pros and cons of Invisalign and Braces, it is time to answer some doubts that might have popped up in your mind. Read on to get the answers.
Do braces have an upper hand?
Yes, in some cases, Braces do have an upper hand.
Though the advancement in Invisalign technology can treat complex teeth alignment issues, it still cannot match certain capacities of braces.
For instance, Invisalign may find it challenging to close a large gap between teeth. Similarly, Invisalign may struggle to treat very short teeth in the mix. Moreover, while braces can treat teeth that require high-degree rotation, Invisalign cannot.
However, it does not diminish the capacity of Invisalign to offer the best result for certain treatments.
What is the duration of treatment?
The time you need to wait to get the result depends on the complexity of the issue. However, while Invisalign usually takes six months to two years, braces require one to three years. Though Invisalign gives results quickly, individual cases may vary.
How much does each treatment cost?
Invisalign often costs 50% more than traditional braces. Braces normally start from Rs. 35,000, while Invisalign starts from Rs. 1,25,000.
Are there more brands in Invisalign?
There are many Invisalign brands such as Invisalign Full, Invisalign Lite, Invisalign Teen, and Invisalign First.
Are there more brands in Braces?
Yes, today, you have more options like tooth-colored or clear ceramic braces, self-ligating braces, etc.
- Metal dental braces: Faster and economical
- Ceramic dental braces: Faster, less expensive, and less visible than metal dental braces
- Self-ligating dental braces: Less treatment time, less pain, and more comfort
Let’s wrap up
We’ve got a cursory glance at Braces and Invisalign. Both of them offer effective treatment. However, the selection will depend on your need and preferences. But you cannot make the selection by yourself. Hence, the next step is to choose the best dental clinic in Trivandrum for Braces or Invisalign in . Moreover, as the treatment is delicate and complex, it demands quality service from an experienced orthodontist. A reputable dental clinic can assure you the best care and service. So select the best to smile confidently.